The Relationship between Productivity and Lighting
Beyond the cost-savings associated with switching to LED lighting systems, research has shown that upgrading your lighting can boost worker productivity, increase employee satisfaction, and ensure a safe work environment. Read on to discover all of the benefits upgrading to an LED lighting system can offer your business.
With winter around the corner, days are getting shorter. Workers are experiencing reduced sunlight exposure, making them more prone to drowsiness and distraction. To combat this, the color temperature of today’s LED lights can be optimized to imitate natural sunlight in order to increase employee focus and alertness. As opposed to the harshness of traditional fluorescent lights, LED lights can be used to illuminate your workplace with a warm, natural glow that increases day-to-day employee productivity while making clients feel more comfortable in your building.
LED lights are brighter and can provide panoptical coverage of your workplace while reducing glare and shadows. By ensuring that every part of your work environment is properly illuminated, you’ll reduce the risk of workplace injuries and accidents by making hazards more visible.
Improved Quality Control
Upgrading to an LED lighting systems can significantly increase the effectiveness of your business’ quality control measures. Improved lighting can make it easier for workers to spot defects and quality concerns. At the same time, the rate of issues that occur during the manufacturing process can often be reduced with proper lighting by mitigating worker fatigue and improving focus.
A healthy employee is a productive employee. Properly lighting the work environment can help prevent health issues like:
- Eye strain
- Neck and back strain
How Businesses Have Benefited
If you like the sound of these potential benefits but want some concrete evidence for the benefits that LED lighting offers, here are the statistical benefits businesses have experienced as a result of using LED systems in their buildings (according to a study conducted by the Rocky Mountain Institute and the U.S. Department of Energy):
- Pennsylvania Power & Light experienced a 25% decrease in absenteeism along with a 13.2% increase in drafting rates.
- Hyde Tools improved product quality by $25,000 a year.
- Boeing lowered defect rates by 20%.
- The Reno Post Office increased processing rates by 6%, resulting in a one-year payback.
- Lockheed experienced a 15% increase in production while absenteeism dropped by 15%.
- West Bend Mutual Insurance saw a 16% increase in the number of claims processed by employees.
- ING Bank benefited from a 15% drop in absenteeism.
- Walmart increased sales in the day lit portion of the store.
The same study found that LED can improve employee performance as follows:
- An 8.3% improvement in performance for visual and cognitive tasks
- Quicker reaction times
- Reduced fatigue along with increased activity
Research shows that companies of all sizes and in all industries can benefit from upgrading to an LED lighting system. If you’re interested in what high-efficiency LED lighting can offer your business, contact the experts at Lighting Solutions today.