Whether you’re planning to redesign your entire facility or just do an LED retrofit, a commercial lighting plan is essential when undertaking a renovation. Lighting is important in commercial facilities for a number of reasons.
All types of commercial facilities need to be well lit for business activities to happen each day. Being able to see what you’re doing is also a matter of safety. If you don’t choose the right lighting fixtures or the proper lighting design, you may be putting all your employees at risk. Plus, if you didn’t have a plan in place at the beginning of a project, chances are the finished product won’t be amazing.
Here are the steps involved in developing a lighting plan for your next big facility renovation.
Find a Contractor or Lighting Solutions Company for Your Facility Renovation Project
The first step in developing a lighting plan is to bring in the professionals. If you are interested in a professional lighting upgrade, it’s best to work with a company that specializes in only lighting. They will develop the most comprehensive plan and ensure that the lighting in your facility is designed and tailored to the needs of your business. They will have extensive knowledge about installation and design, custom lighting, and how to draw up layouts and plans for your business.
The LED Revolution—Why You Should Choose an LED Lighting Solution
When choosing the type of lighting for your facility renovation, there are a number of options you could go with. LEDs, however, offer the most advantages when compared to traditional forms of lighting.
Here are just a few of the benefits of LED bulbs:
- Energy Efficiency—Traditional incandescent bulbs require 60 watts to run. LEDs can run with only 10 watts, making them much more energy-efficient and reducing energy consumption for your business.
- Cost Savings—Because of the low energy requirements of LEDs, you’ll see significant cost savings on your energy bills. Plus they have a longer life, so your business will spend less on maintenance and lighting replacements.
- Safety—LEDs provide efficient lighting for day-to-day activities. In addition, they don’t emit as much heat as traditional forms of lighting, which means they are less of a hazard.
- Longer Life—On average, LEDs have a life expectancy of 20,000 to 50,000 hours. This means a typical LED used for eight hours a day would not need to be replaced for approximately 17 years.
- Environmentally Friendly—LED lights reduce your carbon footprint because they are bright without using much energy.
- Customizable—LEDs offer many customization options. They have color-changing properties, lighting control features, and various types of LED fixtures that can be installed for your facility’s specific needs.
What Goes Into a Lighting Plan?
So, you’ve decided what company you’re going to work with and that you want to install LEDs. Now you need to figure out what actually goes into a commercial lighting plan. There are a few important items to consider.
Determine Where You Want Light Fixtures
A professional lighting installation company will need to draw up a layout and plan for your facility before they begin any project work. For this reason, you need to agree on exactly where you want new fixtures to go. Think about every area where you need lighting and what types of fixtures would be best where. Your lighting partner can help with this.
Think About Where You Want to Turn Lights On and Off
When your partner plans the new lighting design for your facility, they will also outline where light switches are located and what each switch connects to. Where would it be most convenient for you to turn every light on and off? Do you want a three-way switch (a light that can turn on and off from two different switches)? These are all important considerations to discuss with your lighting partner.
Note Any Specialty Switches
Do you want motion sensor lights or any other smart features? Do you want dimmers for all of your lights? Whoever designs and installs your new LED fixtures will need to know all of this before starting your project.
For the Best Commercial Lighting Solutions, Look to the Experts
If you are considering a facility renovation and need help with an LED lighting installation, Lighting Solutions is the partner for the job. We have designed and installed new lighting setups for businesses and we’ve done retrofitting jobs for numerous companies’ existing fixtures. If you are interested in the energy savings and cost savings that LEDs can provide, don’t hesitate to reach out to the Lighting Solutions team. Our project managers will work with you to ensure you get exactly what you want out of a lighting project.
Contact us today to get started with a your commercial lighting plan and project.